Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Incredibly Morphing Build (or, How to Put the 'Con' in Conventional)


After months of toying with the ideas surrounding a more experimental project, it seems we are moving inexorably towards a more conventional build.

My family have it in their heads that what they will have by way of housing should be more of the 'normal' house and are questioning possible alternative building methods--which is fine, 'cause it's their money--but with every eschewing of a non-conventional method, the price seems to climb exponentially.

The caveat to all this is that their build might require--probably will demand--a construction loan. That severely limits what they can do because banks are loathe to loan money on building methods they have not experienced much.

Ah, well; we do what we can.

However, there's some bad news here for me.

How this impacts my build is that ANY building on the land must not only meet code (which my house would in any case), but it must also meet the building standards of the lender. These standards may often exceed the local Wilson County code. Thus, unless I can get really creative, I may be looking at a conventional build for my house.

More on this topic, soon.

Meanwhile, here's a picture of my granddog, Bucky; I post this because he always makes me smile.

No comments: